These are my “fancy pants” chocolate chip cookies. They have a perfectly crispy outside and a soft inside – a cookie trait I’ve been dying to perfect. The defining factor in these cookies is brown butter. Browning the butter instead of whipping it gives it a caramel note and a more dense texture. I love this recipe because I’m one of those people that literally never has butter at room temperature, I can’t be the only one!
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 12 + 4 Tbsp (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 375º and position rack to the middle. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Melt 12 Tbsp (1.5 sticks) of butter over medium-high heat. Once butter is melted, continue to cook while stirring constantly until it turns a deep brown color and gives off a nutty scent. This took me about 5 minutes, if you use a skillet instead of a saucepan it should take closer to 3 minutes.
3. Pour brown butter into a large bowl and add the remaining 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) of butter. Stir until fully melted and incorporated.
4. Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Stir until fully incorporated, texture should be thick and grainy.
5. Using a whisk, mix in the eggs and whisk vigorously until the consistency is smooth and shiny (1-3 minutes)
6. Pour wet ingredients over sifted flour mixture and fold until no traces of flour remain.
7. Add in the chocolate chips and old fashioned oats and stir until combined.
8. Using a cookie scoop or 1 Tbsp, place cookies onto a non-stick cookie sheet and bake for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown.
TIP: If you’re using a light cookie sheet or parchment paper, baking time may vary.
I even tested these cookies the next day and the insides were still soft and chewy with a perfectly golden outside. My husband claims these are the best cookies I’ve ever made, but who know’s if he’s just sucking up 🙂
Let me know in the comments below if you try these out and what you think!