You guessed it.. another pie post. I finally mastered my cherry pie filling and I had to share it with all of you! This recipe works best for pie pops and hand pies.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 1/2 cups frozen sweet cherries
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp almond extract
Here’s what you do:
1. Add frozen cherries, lemon zest & juice, and sugar to a saucepan over low to medium heat. Heat until cherries begin to release juices and begin to lightly boil.
2. At this point, the mixture will have a liquid consistency. Add in the corn starch and reduce heat to a simmer to allow the cherries to reduce for about 5 minutes. Make sure to watch continuously as this time could change based on your stovetop or cookware!
– TIP: What does reduce mean? To me, reduce is a fancy word for thicken. You want the cherries to become a syrupy consistency!
3. Once your filling is at the desired consistency, remove from heat and add in the almond extract.
4. Finally, mash the cherries to get a jam-like consistency. This makes it easier to fill your hand pies/pie pops.